• Police: Missing Jacksonville man took himself to South Florida hospital

    By: Brittney Donovan , Action News Jax


    LATEST: Wife of Jacksonville dad found in South Florida: 'I would do it all again for my husband'

    Police said a Jacksonville father who was missing for several days checked himself in to a South Florida hospital.

    Calvin Lincomfelt was reported missing Monday after he never returned home to his family's Bartram Park condo.

    He told his wife he was driving home from a job in New Smyrna Beach and that he'd be home around 3 p.m. 

    Police: missing dad Calvin Lincomfelt checked self into Hollywood, FL hospital. Couldn't articulate where he'd been or what he'd been doing. pic.twitter.com/UpkqQuCUeG

    — Jenna Bourne (@jennaANjax) August 14, 2017

    Ormond Beach Police said he was seen on surveillance video at a McDonald’s drive-through on Aug. 7 at 2:23 p.m.

    After his wife reported him missing, investigators learned his cellphone pinged at a location five minutes from their home.

    Volunteers organized a search party on Saturday.

    NEW DETAILS: Police say #Jacksonville man took himself to South Florida hospital, couldn't say where he had been https://t.co/dDaVx18fn3 pic.twitter.com/OxwhxYwrQ0

    — ActionNewsJax (@ActionNewsJax) August 14, 2017

    Karen Lincomfelt told Action News Jax on Sunday that police said her husband had been located in South Florida.

    According to a police report, Lincomfelt checked himself in to a Hollywood, Florida, hospital for an evaluation.

    He could only give authorities his name and some background information, the police report said. 

    Hospital staff searched Lincomfelt's name on Google and found news releases and social media posts about his missing status.

    He was further identified by a "Tar Heel" tattoo on his back, the police report said.

    Lincomfelt told police that he couldn't remember anything after Aug. 7.

    Further details about him have not been released.

    “We typically see people turn up (after) about seven to 10 days, sometimes more or less,”  Steve Smith, president of River City Search and Rescue, said.

    Smith headed the search for Lincomfelt over the weekend.

    He said he's seen a similar outcome in the past.

    “As an adult, you have a right to do whatever you want," Smith said. "People wander off because they need a break. It's completely out of character for them."

    Smith said he got a text from the family Sunday night to let him know Lincomfelt was safe.

    Action News Jax looked into Lincomfelt’s past to see if there was anything suspicious.

    According to North Carolina court records, he was charged with insurance fraud after police say he set his home on fire.

    © 2018 Cox Media Group.

    Next Up: